Monday, February 10, 2014

Blah, Blah, Blah, Oh! Blogging



Oh, Blogging. What a concept or innovative tool to share and gather information.  Currently, I am blogging out of school obligation. I hope to have time in the future to use this tool to share and gather information that will continue to help me grow as a person.  I find it difficult to create time and space for myself to work hard or develop my intelligence (Dweck’s, 2010).  Because of tools like blogging, Google hangout, wiki, I hope to find creative ways to overcome the challenge of time. Knowledge is empowering to me in order to make change internally or externally. 

Teaching and learning is a reciprocal process, and I believe in that process. In my opinion, there is nothing new under the sun, and all ideas existed outside of an individual; which is one reason I understand Downes (2007) idea of connectivism as a theory. Dealing with digital natives in my classroom, and I am a digital resident, blogging is a great opportunity to share knowledge and create a union between myself (digital resident) and my students (digital natives), much like a cultural fusion. Siemens (2005) calls for a relational field between “rapid growth of information in a different field to merge in research.” In other words, research need to catch up to the exponential growth of the informational age. As a lifetime learner, I adapt to any learning environment, especially virtual environment. In virtual environment, facilitators and participants have to be able to balance flexibility and expectations because human expression look different and surreal.  Some things may be misinterpreted. 



Downes, S. (2007). What connectivism is?
Retrieved from http://halfanhour.blogspot.com/2007/02/what-connectivism-is.html
Dweck, C. (2010). Even geniuses work hard. Educational Leadership, 68(1), 16-20.
Siemens, G. (2005). Connectivism: Learning as network-creation. ASTD Learning News, 10(1). Retrieved from http://www.astd.org/LC/2005/1105_seimens.htm

3 comments:

  1. Hi Daphney:
    I had not heard of the term digital resident before this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eve,
    I provided a link to explain what is a digital resident. I hope that will help you. I read about it in one of our core courses, and I could not find the link directly. I posted a blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daphney,
    I learned a lot from the Residents and Visitor's site. I am totally unfamiliar with Google Hangout!! I thought I was doing well with the "circles." I very much enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete